With a new Vixen ASCOM driver to your PC, a wide variety of ASCOM application software is applicable to the STAR BOOK TEN.
You need to download to your PC an ASCOM Platform 6SP1 program from ASCOM Standard for Astronomy on Internet together with our ASCOM driver for the ASCOM application software.
These instructions describe how to download the ASCOM driver for STAR BOOK TEN to your PC. You should also read instruction manuals provided for the ASCOM application software to use.
- STAR BOOK TEN controller (ver. 4.10 or later)
- PC (Computer) which is capable of LAN connection
- LAN crossover cable
- Power supply for STAR BOOK TEN (AC Adapter 12V 3A or Portable Power Supply SG1000SX, or equivalent.)
- ASCOM driver for STAR BOOK TEN (obtained from this website)
- ASCOM Platform 6SP1
- ASCOM application software (sold commercially)
System Requirements for PC
||Microsoft Windows®XP Home Edition、XP Professional、Vista、7 Home Edition、7 Professional、7 Ultimate、8、８pro
|Web Browser :
||Internet Explorer version 5.0 or higher
||Pentium®II 400MHz or better
||256 MB or more
- ※Depending on the OS used, necessary information may not be displayed properly. If this is the case, update your OS to the latest version using Windows Update.
- ※Microsoft and Windows are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the US and some countries.
All product and company names mentioned in the instructions are trademarks or registered trademarks of the respective companies.
Flow of Set Up for ASCOM
Check the firmware version of your STAR BOOK TEN and install the latest version as the need arises.
Go to ASCOM Standard for Astronomy on the website and download the ASCOM platform 6SP1 to your PC.
Download the ASCOM driver for STAR BOOK TEN to the PC from Vixen’s website.
Install ASCOM application software to the PC.
Connect an equatorial mount and the PC via a STAR BOOK TEN to control.
Run the mount/telescope using ASCOM application software.
- Confirm the firmware version of your STAR BOOK TEN.
Updating to ver. 4.10 and above is necessary to use the STAR BOOK TEN with ASCOM application software.
Be sure to update to the latest version, if your STAR BOOK TEN’s is older than ver. 3.50.
The firmware version can be checked on the “About Star Book TEN” screen in the “Initial Configuration” menu that appears just after you power on the STAR BOOK TEN.
The latest update is available from below:
» Program Updates
- Install the ASCOM Platform 6.2 to your PC.
It is necessary to install the ASCOM Platform 6.2 to the PC before you access the ASCOM driver for STAR BOOK TEN to install. It is not possible to separately install the ASCOM driver only.
The ASCOM Platform 6.2 is available from below:
ASCOM Standard for Astronomy
- Visit ASCOM Standard Astronomy’s home page to get an ASCOM Platform 6.2 program.
* ASCOM Platform 6.2 is the latest version as of March, 2016.
- Download the ASCOM Platform 6.2 to your PC by clicking the download button on the right in the column.
- In the initial setup screen of the ASCOM Platform 6.2, click the Install button to execute the program.
If you fail to install in Windows 8 and the error message on the left appears on the screen, click on here.
If you fail to install in WindowsVista or WindowsXP and the error message on the left appears on the screen, click on here.
The installation is in progress.
The instillation ended successfully.
- Install the ASCOM driver for STAR BOOK TEN to your PC.
- Download the ASCOM driver for STAR BOOK TEN from the following site:
ASCOM driver for STAR BOOK TEN
- In the initial setup screen of the ASCOM driver downloaded,
Mark a check box for “I accept the agreement” and click the Next button.
Click the Install button to execute the installation.
The instillation ended successfully.
- Install ASCOM application software to your PC.
- Connect the STAR BOOK TEN and the PC with a LAN crossover cable. Power on the STAR BOOK TEN, PC and other equipment involved.
- Now your mount controlled by the STAR BOOK TEN is linked to the PC to operate the mount with the installed ASCOM application software.
Pre-requisites when Installing the ASCOM Platform in Windows 8
When you install the ASCOM platform 6.2 in Windows 8, an massage on the left may appear on the screen. If this is the case, the installation will be suspended. It may be caused by improper settings of “.NET Framework 3.5” or this software is missing in your PC. Change the settings in the PC in the following procedure or obtain the .NET Framework from Microsoft to proceed with the installation.
- Right-click on the background in the start up screen. Click “All apps” in the bottom right of the screen and display every application.
- Select “Control Panel” and go to “Programs”.
- Click on “Turn Windows features on or off” in “Programs and Features”.
- The “Windows Features” dialog box is displayed. Mark a check box for “2.NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)” and click the OK button.
Pre-requisites when Installing the ASCOM Platform in WindowsVista or WindowsXP
When you install the ASCOM platform 6.2 in Windows XP, an massage on the left may appear on the screen. If this is the case, the installation will be suspended. It may be caused by improper settings of “.NET Framework 3.5” or this software is missing in your PC. Change the settings in the PC in the following procedure or obtain the .NET Framework from Microsoft to proceed with the installation.
- Click the Start button (or Windows logo in the bottom left of the screen) to display the Start menu. Select “All Programs” and go to “Windows Update”. Click on it to display.
- Update the OS to the latest version of WindowsXP (including .NET Framework 3.5).
For a custom installation, select “.NET Framework 2.0/3.0/3.5 Microsoft, .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update ‘KB951847)x86” to install.